Butternut squash is known for helping regulate high blood pressure. The potassium and vitamins help support the body’s basic functions. It improves blood sugar levels through the high fiber which keeps the body’s sugars stable for longer periods. Butternut squash is full of beta-Carotene (turns into Vitamin A inside the body) and Vitamin C which boosts the immune system. Eating butternut squash when trying to lose weight helps curb the appetite due to the high fiber and it is also relatively low in calories for the amount of nutrients it packs.
- spray coconut oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in coconut oil just until soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the carrots and squash plus ½ cup water.
- Steam the squash and carrots until tender.
- Place the steamed vegetables in a food processor or blender and pulse to break down, then add apple cider vinegar. Then puree until the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Serve with protein and green of choice. I suggest a freshly grilled fatty white fish and Brussels sprouts.